Second Emergency HEAP Benefits are now available:
Effective immediately, there is a one (1) Second Emergency Benefit available for Heat (natural gas, electric heat, oil, etc.), and one (1) Second Emergency Benefit available for Heat–Related Electric (electricity that is needed to run primary heating equipment- thermostat, furnace, etc.), if client already received their First Emergency Benefit and has a current shut off notice or low fuel supply.
Complete HEAP information, including application guidelines and methods, is available by visiting www.erie.gov, and clicking the HEAP link at the bottom of the page.
Friday, March 27, 2015 is the closing date for all Regular & Emergency HEAP Benefits.
The Regular Benefit is for a household’s main source of heat. A shut off notice or low fuel supply is not required. Walk in applications will be accepted until 4pm on 3/27. Mail in & on line applications will be accepted if postmarked or submitted on or before 3/27.
Emergency Benefits are available for a household’s main source of heat (if service is off, or if there is a shut off notice or low fuel supply), and for “heat related” electric (if electricity is needed to run heating equipment, thermostat, furnace fan, etc.). For emergency assistance, clients are encouraged to visit the HEAP Office at 478 Main St., Buffalo, 8am-4pm, or call the HEAP Hotline at 858-7644.
The following HEAP components will remain open:
- The HEAP hotline is available year round to assist with inquiries about applications filed during the season, and to provide information about other programsavailable to assist if HEAP is unavailable.
- A HEAP Cooling Assistance (Air Conditioner) component is tentatively scheduled to open April 1, 2015 for households containing an individual with a medical condition exacerbated by extreme heat. You will receive an email with details and complete guidelines.
- Weatherization Assistance Program, EmPower NY, and energy related home repair referral components remain open.
- HEAP “early outreach” mail out of applications for the 2015-16 season, to select households, is expected to commence in August 2015.
- HEAP Auto pay process for 2015-16, for households in receipt of SNAP or TA, is expected to commence in September 2015.
- The Furnace Repair/Replacement component is closed, but is expected to re-open in the Fall.