Seneca Nation Disability Services' mission is to focus on our members under 60 years of age with disabilities. Our goal is to make our territories disability friendly and ensure members receive a quality life.
The Program goal is to improve the general welfare of the SN Members with disabilities and reduce the associated cost of health care services by providing a monthly income payment and other available supportive services to those who meet all eligibility services to those who meet all eligibility requirements.
The monthly supplemental payment is issued to on-territory Seneca members between the ages of 18-59, who receive a long-term disability award from the Social Security Administration, Veteran's Administration, Railroad Retirement Board, or a state, federal, local, or private source.
Eligibility for the supplemental payment is based on the following guidelines:
- Applicant must be an enrolled Seneca
- Applicant must be between the ages of 18-59 years old
- Applicant must reside full-time on one of the Seneca Nation territories
- Applicant must be approved to receive or already receive a qualifying long-term disability award
Applications can be obtained online or in the office at the SAAB 90 Ohi:Yo ’Way Salamanca, on the 3rd floor suite 330 or Supportive services building at 210 TIS Ext. Irving.
Other services include but are not limited to:
- Information and referral services for internal departments and other outside agencies
- Claims Assistance
- Informational Workshops for SN employees and the public
- Assistance using www.ssa.gov Ex. creating My Social Security Accounts
- Social Security Assistance- Allegany Territory every 3rd Wednesday of the month and Cattaraugus every 4th Wednesday of the month.
- Transportation if needed as last resort of transport (no wheelchairs at this time as we do not have the proper equipment.)
- Supportive Services- limited minor home emergency repairs. MUST OWN THE HOME BE PHYSICALLY LIVING IN THE HOME & HAVE PROPER DEED for assistance.
- Seneca Nation Disability Committee meets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month, open to the public with the exception we do not have a waiver policy hearing
- Waiver Policy- your eligibility will be presented to the SN Disability Committee for approval to receive the supplemental payment WHILE you are waiting for your appeal.
- Loaner Closet- for participants who need to use the equipment on a temporary basis
These services are provided on a case-by-case basis using an intake system to determine eligibility.
Seneca Nation Disability Services also works as a liaison between the department, SN Disabilities Committee, and Council. The members of the Disabilities Committee are appointed by Council and will elect a Chairperson, Co-Chairperson, and Secretary. Changes to the Policy of the department are approved by this committee and are presented to Council for final approval. In the event of vacancies on the committee, the SN Clerk's Office will send out a Public Notice and will accept Letters of Intent from those who would like to join.
The Seneca Nation Disability payment is protected under the Settlement Act of 1990 and the Distribution of Judgment Funds Act and is not subject to federal, state, or local taxes, nor can it be recognized by any of those governments as income or resources for purposes of benefit eligibility or child support determinations or otherwise subject in any way to levy, execution, forfeiture, garnishment, lien, encumbrance, or seizure.
For more information or to make an appointment, contact:
Leanna Leroy, Director
716-532-4900 Ext. 5151 or 716-801-2955