Elder Abuse Awareness
Elders are an important part of our community. They are our first teachers. Their knowledge, language and experiences are passed down from generation to generation through stories or by example. They share their pain, triumphs, and vision for the future. As community members, we must respect, honor and protect our elders from abuse and mistreatment.
Elder abuse is any knowing, intentional, or negligent act by a caregiver or any other person that causes harm or a serious risk of harm to an elder. Sadly, the neglect and mistreatment of elders happens most by family members. Most cases of elder abuse are undetected, under-reported, and unresolved.
If you or someone you know is experiencing abuse, neglect, or exploitation -please reach out for help:
- In cases of immediate danger call 911.
- To report abuse or neglect at home: Call New York State Adult Protective Services, 1-844-697-3505
- To report nursing home abuse or neglect: Call NY State Long-term Care Ombudsman Program, 1-855-582-6769
- Seneca Nation Crime Victim Services, Sharon Francis (716)532-4900 ext. 5060
- 24/7 Victim Services Hotline (716)532-8185
SNI Elder Abuse PSA Video:
View the extended version here.